Sunday, July 29, 2007

It is more than just an adda


It has been more than a year since I have joined Khar adda in orkut.. and have been a regular member since then. And my honest confession is, joining this community is one of the best things that happened to me during the last few years. Everyone 'll agree that in a group like this where we gossip about anything under the sky and above.. friendship blooms very easily. Its true, we had quite a few little problems here as well.. But for most of our regular people, that never stopped us from refreshing the daily thread again and again till we logout.

I have made so many good friends here.. and honestly.. some are so close that I know more about them than many of my real life friends surrounding me.. and when I cannot access the net for a few days, I miss many of them so much.. that it hurts... hehe!!

What is so special about our adda?? Its the involvement of its regular members. Start from RG. He welcomes each new member in a special thread, takes care of changing (and editing) the pic every week... voting for the pic starting from Friday morning to Sunday midnight is another special thread.. Once it so happened that one thread in the community flared up some controversy.. Looking back, I think that people should accept it as a matter of personal opinion. There are people who may not like posting their profile links somewhere, and from that point of view, it may be justified for them to ask for deletion of that particular thread. But then they have to think once, whether there was any misuse of the thread. If there is any, then we'll have to take responsibility and deal with the situation. One may think that since the community is for gossiping, there will be rampant use of slangs (galis I mean).. It is heartening to see that community members are so much (;-)) accommodating and understanding to use alternative means for slangs... like &^%&^.

I have a habit of making fun with friends and I don't deny that I went to the community with a funny ID, which (I hope) people in the community liked to some extent. But the trouble is.. that was not the only such ID.. and now a days for every such ID, my friends give me 10 suspicious looks... hehehe!! But I enjoy that too...

Sometimes I wonder what is our fate! I mean.. every day a few members join adda, some do leave.. and among these, few still remain as good friends and confidante. What if sometime in the future orkut itself ceases to exist..? Or may be in future it may so happen that we become so busy in our own lives.. that we may not find enough time to leave a single scrap (even if it is a simple copy paste.. the work we really excel in.. LOL) on our friends' scrapbooks? There is a saying in Assamese চকুৰ আঁতৰ হ'লে মনৰো আঁতৰ হয় (Away from sight~ away from mind) !! I sincerely hope that this will never happen with us. And I hope that if orkut exist.. say 20 years from now, even if we are no more in the adda, khar adda will exist. And some young Maina will tell his friends "জাননে বেংচব, মোৰ পাপাই মাক আড্ডা দি থাকোতেই লগ পাইছিলে, এই খাৰ আড্ডাতে!!"
(Photo courtesy: RG)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hats off to RonG!!
his creativity in the form of "Khaar Adda" has given a new dimension to building relationships; now if i sit down and think of these people (who have become so close, as in the family) i cannot dig out an answer if it would have been possible to come across them without this community in orkut??
all of them have given me a reason to smile while m away from family and friends and be strong when i felt low.
Wishing the world for them. Cheers!

Nilanjon Gohain said...

Unlike Assam our homeland community, it has no politics.